“The server has crashed!” These words can strike fear within the hearts of network managers and users alike. Every bit as good parents keep close track of their kids even if there’s no apparent threat, so should a great network administrator monitor the servers to capture potential issues before they occur. Outsourced IT support is essential to the prosperity of any company that uses network of computers because of its day-to-day operations.
This is a step-by-step help guide to proper server maintenance.
1. Design a typical server troubleshooting and looking after routine. To be able to keep your server more proficiently, you must have a typical troubleshooting procedure that you’ll follow every time you are keeping it up. Make use of a listing to assist in your troubleshooting and maintenance process. This can stop you from skipping essential steps or overlooking something.
2. Begin with the underside: Trobleshoot and fix the physical component
The first thing to maintain your server should involve figuring out if the physical component is functioning correctly. Including examining the hardware, cabling system and then any attached peripheral. Turn off the network cables and cards to assist identify any problems within the hardware. If there’s any new hardware within the server, then make sure that it works with the operating-system.
3. Traffic control: consider addressing and routing errors
After you have because of the hardware a clear bill of health, shift your focus on the configuration of the operating-system. Typical business systems operate on TCP/IP, thus the wrong TCP/IP setting leads to address and routing problems. Always make sure that your server’s TCP/IP configurations are correct.
4. Identification: Trobleshoot and fix name resolution problems.
Your computers’ names should be resolved for your Ip. Thus, if you’re experiencing connectivity problems, then try ‘pinging’ your computers utilizing their names and also the Ip.
5. Trobleshoot and fix application problems.
Server applications are often not the same as applications that were installed on workstations. Server applications are set up on the top from the operating-system plus they permit you to maintain and monitor your server along with the computers within the network. You have to make sure that these applications are suitable for the actual operating-system.
6. Paper chase: Trobleshoot and fix print server problems.
While troubleshooting paper server, make sure that your printer is within seem condition which all connections feel at ease. Also, be sure that the printer motorists are properly installed. Finally, be sure that the print spooler services are running easily.
7. Trobleshoot and fix email server problems.
Email is easily the most used network application in organizations. Issues with the mail server migh result from connectivity problems which have been discussed above. To repair this, be sure that the Mail Exchange (MX) sources within the DNS records are right. Also, make sure that there’s sufficient disc space for user mailboxes within the mail server.
8. Terminal condition: Trobleshoot and fix terminal services problems.
The “thin client” option would be more and more gaining recognition since Microsoft is incorporating Terminal Services into its Home windows 2000 and.Internet server os’s. Make sure to take a look terminal server.
9. Issues with the dial: Trobleshoot and fix dial-up/ remote access server problems
With the remote access server, users can dial in and set up a reference to your network via a Virtual private network. However, if users cannot connect with your remote access server, you will want to determine the general connectivity issues pointed out formerly.
10. Listen for that zebras: Search for every other causes of trouble.
The old saying “Whenever you hear hoof beats, expect horses, not zebras” is extremely true if this troubleshooting and looking after your server. Thus, always think about the regular causes of trouble. However, for those who have checked with the common causes of problems but they are still not able to repair the server, then consider the uncommon causes of trouble such as the server security settings, client licenses and also the routers. This can be very challenging hence you may contemplate it talking to at this time.